Aldgate Pump – Repair, Conservation and Stone Cleaning

The Aldgate Pump is situated near to the site of the ‘Aldgate’, one of the gates into the Roman City of London. Aldgate was rebuilt in the early 12th Century and again in 1607-9 and was demolished in 1761. A well at Aldgate is mentioned in the early 13th century.

Client: City of London

Carden and Godfrey were commissioned by the City of London to restore the Aldgate Pump back to a working water pump as well as carry out associated repairs and adapt it for the use of the general public and specifically to enable users to fill up their water bottles. Furthermore, the City wanted to restore the original lantern as well as provide an information plaque.

The Aldgate Pump was included at Grade II in the statutory list of buildings of special architectural or historic interest on 4 January 1950.

More Work