St Giles’ Church is situated in an extensive Churchyard at the end of a long driveway extending eastwards from the junction of Dene Road and Park Lane not far from the centre of Ashtead.
The Grade II* listed parish church of St Giles’ Ashtead was built in the early 12th century on a former Roman site. The church was substantially rebuilt in the 15th and 16th centuries when the western tower was constructed. Major work was again carried out in the 19th century when the east window and the stone reredos were installed, the south porch was constructed, and the elaborate panelled cedar roofs were added. The bells were recast as a peal of 8 in 1873. A further restoration was carried out in 1891 when the roofs were recovered and a new organ chamber and enlarged vestry and north transept were added. New oak pews were also installed along with a new pulpit. The lychgate was constructed in 1903 and the western glazed screen was added in 1968.
The church is principally faced in knapped flint, dressings and weathering’s are a mixture of Reigate Stone, Clunch, Bath Stone along with areas of cementitious plastic stone repairs. There are several areas featuring brick and tile slips and there are brick quoins to the sacristy extension and bricks have been used in repairs to the tower buttresses and to the stair turret. The roof is entirely of Horsham stone.
The roof at St Giles was re-laid twenty years ago, but the mortar failed and now the roof needed relaying again.
The Horsham stone was carefully stripped and as much as possible was salvaged and re-laid using the single lap system with Welsh slate shading under the joints. Miscellaneous repairs arising from the Quinquennial Inspection were also undertaken while the contractor was on site.