St Peters Church, Hammersmith

Over a 12 year period we have undertaken a significant programme of repairs and conservation which culminated in the complete internal redecoration and installation of a new lighting scheme.

St Peter’s Church was built in 1827-9 to the design of Architect Edward Lapidge. Built from yellow brick with stone dressings with a slate covered pitched roof behind parapets with lead gutters. The Symmetrical West front, tetrastyle pedimented portico with enlarged Ionic columns and with pilastered octagonal tower above with cupola and clock. The interior has a gallery supported by Doric columns to three sides. The flat, compartmented ceiling was quite an achievement for the time covering as it does an area 26m long with an uninterrupted span of almost 20m wide using timber trusses. The church is II* listed.

The church had fallen into quite a poor state of repair following many years of neglect so over this twelve year period our work has included complete reroofing (with funding from the HLF), repairs to the tower and other stonework, major overhaul of the metal windows and re-landscaping including a new stone access ramp.

The most recent project included removal of insulation so that a thorough inspection of the top side of the plaster ceiling could be carried out and any repairs mapped prior to reinsulating the ceiling. As a result of this it became clear that two areas of the ceiling were at high risk of collapse and were temporarily propped as a result. The ceiling was then repaired prior to redecoration with a new colour scheme and new lighting was installed to the design of Light Perceptions.

More Work